Paradox Community

Items in comp.databases.paradox

Subject:Re: Permitting a form to close
Date:Fri, 10 Mar 2017 05:52:01 -0500
From:"Kevin Baker" <shcsbaker@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:comp.databases.paradox
Leslie

I've working on an update which will have a Navigation SideBar, in which
(using info found in the groups) make the form a dialog form that still
"belongs" to Paradox.  I want the user to Navigate the application using the
sidebar which will open/close forms as necessary.  When the user clicks
formA it will open and Snap to the NavBar.  If they move either the open
form or the NavBar, there is a ReSnapping that takes place.  When the user
clicks FormB, the NavBar "knows" that FormA is open and will close it, then
open FormB.  One problem I've come across is if the user closes FormA by
clicking the "X" and then clicks FormA again on the NavBar, they NavBar will
do nothing since it "thinks" that FormA is already open.  This logic was by
design as an attempt to be more efficient, by logic was why open a form
that's already open.

Last night I did add code to the MenuAction of a form that checked to see if
the NavBar was open and if eventinfo.id was MenuCanClose and if both were
true, then I setErrorCode(CanNotDepart).  Worked good, but this also causes
other issues.

I may need to just chew on this a bit more, but I don't think killing the
close button is the solution.

Thanks for the help and insight.

"Leslie"  wrote in message news:58c1fe13@pnews.thedbcommunity.com...

"Jim Moseley" wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> Our app used to have this implemented, but we backed off for a few
> reasons:
> 1. Users got mad that 'X' didn't do what they wanted.
>
> 2. We changed the 'X' to do the same as an OK button (or however you want
> to close the form).

Apart from the Microsoft Windows 10 Upgrade "malware" screen which they got
absolutely hammered for, clicking the Close Window button in the caption has
always equated to a Cancel or "Do nothing" operation - this goes all the way
back to the days of Win286. At best you could prompt the User with an "Are
You Sure" type prompt offering a Cancel option.

Jim is spot on in that you should change the Window Style so that you do not
give them the option of clicking something you do not want them to.

Apart from captionless Windows I have never had the need to hide the Close
button, minimize and maximize sure, but never close because surely the User
can always close a Window. Even if it is the top level window then closing
that means closing the application.

So I am interested to know more about the reasoning behind the need ?

Copyright © 2004 thedbcommunity.com