Paradox Community

Items in comp.databases.paradox

Subject:Re: Multi-User Table Access
Date:Sun, 2 Feb 2020 08:45:09 -0500
From:"Steven Green" <greens@diamondsg.com>
Newsgroups:comp.databases.paradox
NO !!  do NOT mix drive letters and still think you have the exact same path

as for the SMB question, the issue is new, but seems to be the same "oplocks
and caching" issue.. if you don't do ALL machines, the ones you don't do,
can create the problems

in either case, looking for reasons to NOT do it completely right,
completely the same, is looking for reasons to allow it to fail.. paradox
tables and indexes are a collection of files that MUST be written out
concurrently.. one mistake, access to the table stops

--

Steven Green
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Collectibles and Memorabilia
Vintage Lego Sets and Parts
- and Paradox support, too
"Ivan"  wrote in message news:5e3668e1$1@pnews.thedbcommunity.com...

disagree:

as i know, exactly means the whole path should by the same but the drive
letter. this can change on each workstation.

period #2 ?

i think read this as i was much younger and never had problems with it.

additional question to smb1.
i activate smb1 on win10 (and if necessary all others since win 7) again.
but is it necessary to be activated on all pcs within a network, or just
workstations? i.e. is it necessary for "server" too, or server don't need
it?

thanks for the answer.

Ivan

"Steven Green" <greens@diamondsg.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "exactly" means "exactly".. if one app thinks f:\myapp is the same place
> as the other app thinking it's p:\myapp, they don't know they're sharing
> and you WILL get corruption when the files get written to
>
> "exactly" means "exactly".. period !!
>
> --
>
> Steven Green
> Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
>
> http://www.OasisTradingPost.com
>
> Collectibles and Memorabilia
> Vintage Lego Sets and Parts
> - and Paradox support, too
> "Ivan"  wrote in message news:5e348637$1@pnews.thedbcommunity.com...
>
> hi steven,
>
> a question:
>
>> all users must point to the same shared net file, using the EXACT same
>> mapping/path.. it can't just resolve to the same location, it must be
>> EXACTLY the same.. then, same thing for all shared data
>
> what means EXACTLY exactly?
> e.g. i've an app installed on the drive   P:\MyApp
>
> NET DIR is set to P:\MyApp
>
> then I share the whole drive P: within the network.
>

> and have one (or more) worstations (ws1, ws2, ...).
> eg. ws1 access the drive as N:
> the ws2 as Z:
>
> and on ws1 the NET DIR is set to  N:\MyApp
> on ws2 to Z:\MyApp

> i.e. all pcs points to the same directory MyApp on the "server" drive P:
> do you see any problems? and if yes, why?
>
> thanks
>
> Ivan
>

>> if you think it's all good, and it's not, re-running remlok32 will show
>> you all net and lock files out there, per drive, and what net file the
>> lock files are pointing to

Copyright © 2004 thedbcommunity.com