|Subject:||Re: Performance problem opening database on SQL-server
|Date:||Mon, 15 Jun 2020 10:36:39 +0200
|From:||Anders Jonsson <andersREMOVETHIS@jonssondata.se>
Finally this issue was solved!
For various reasons my client decided to move the MS SQL-server
in-house. I was hoping that this would make the problem go away, but it
got even worse!
Instead of “only” slow performance we got dropped connections. We could
open the database, do inserts but not select! Still we had the the
strange problem that only one shop was affected, others were OK.
My client’s ISP assured us that everything was OK with the firewall,
hardware, wiring. They inspected packages, ping results – “everything”
but no fault were found. Of course, they blamed me, Paradox and
Microsoft for the problems.
The problematic PC is acting as a POS which means it is only used for
this specific purpose. During my testing however, I also did some other
operations such as file transfers and web surfing.
I then realized that this traffic was also affected! Opening websites
took abnormal long time. Copying files from the PC to a server worked
fine but from server to PC never worked.
Armed with that fact I could push the ISP again and finally they
“rebuilt the LAN-configuration with another standard” for the
problematic shop and then everything went back to normal!!
How many days and hours I spent troubleshooting this problem I don’t
dare to think about, but it was good to know that good old Paradox was
not to blame!