|Subject:||Re: table repair quirk
|Date:||26 Nov 2018 00:08:04 -0400
|From:||"Kevin Zawicki" <email@example.com>
May sound stupid, but can you move it to another PC and test?
I would copy table:
on copy delete first 12 indexes, test, if error, then delete first 6 of 12,
Going in halves, try to find the index causing it..
I have seen chimney sweep fix things rebuilds can't and vice versa.
This does sound like you hit some limit.
Is the data sound? any high ascii?
"Steven Green" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>thanks.. been there, did all of those things.. assumed I'd find the
>offending record and delete it.. then it started moving :-)
>it's gotta be a bad pointer in one of the indexes, but with 24 to check
>manually, it's not worth the effort, for now.. that's the biggest issue
>these old apps.. all the eff-ing indexes.. it was so cutting-edge, so
>simple.. make an index for everything.. 20 years later, you have 400 files
>open at once, hundreds of thousands of records, and everyone beating on
>of it, all day long
>Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
>Collectibles and Memorabilia
>Vintage Lego Sets and Parts
>- and Paradox support, too
>"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
>A few thoughts...
>To me, 80,000 does not seem large, but 24 does ;-)
>How about copying the table structure only, and then "adding" all the
>current data into the new structure, etc...
>Or... How about splitting the current table into, say, three sub-tables,
>with about 27,000 records each (well under that darn 32,768 limit!), and
>then running Repair on each sub-table. If each sub-table is error-free,
>that might suggest that the data in the individual records is not the
>problem, but perhaps the "volume" of records, and you might have hit a
>variation of that darn 32,768 issue among all those secondary indices.
>Also, if you have ChimneySweep handy, maybe it's worth a shot? (However,
>I did try/stress it (a lot!), some years ago, with no success!).
> - Mike
>On 25/11/2018 14:29, Steven Green wrote:
>> huge table.. 80,000 records, 24 sec indexes, a couple of memo fields..
>> I didn't create this monster
>> repair says record 28728 is out of sort order.. rebuild, still there..
>> delete it, now the record BEFORE it is now out of sort order, not the
>> record AFTER it
>> stranger still, there's seemingly nothing wrong with the record that stops
>> anything.. I can add it back to the table w/o an error, I can edit it
>> leave the record w/o an error, so none of the lookup values is invalid
>> Steven Green
>> Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
>> Collectibles and Memorabilia
>> Vintage Lego Sets and Parts
>> - and Paradox support, too